Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Overseas Exile Poll Interpretation

I've posted the results, this is how I view them.

The good news: nothing's really going to change about this blog. People are generally very happy with the format and they feel it's useful. I'm not going to disappoint them. That being said, over 70% of you said you would like to see more opinion posts from me. I'll start dropping them in every once in a while, but I won't be changing the general format. This blog will remain a howto blog for would-be expats (or maybe I should just call it "the expat travel blog"?).

Next, almost 60% of you said you wanted to move to "Europe" or a specific European country. I'll try to make a decent focus here and respond to the more, but the world is round and I will treat it as such. Bali is beautiful; why shouldn't I tell you about it?

All things considered, I am happy with the results of the poll and I think they'll help me better focus on what folks need. There are clearly legal/logistic issues which need to be addressed.

One question which I forgot to ask: do people want to see the personal posts where I talk about my family and life in another country? I don't think I post them overly much, but I also don't know how people feel about them.

5 comments:

  1. I don't mind the personal posts about your family. Of course as a friend I'm always wondering how you all are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the personal entries, I enjoy. And the rest, I don’t mind.

    The only type of post I do mind is “sorry, I didn’t post anything today”, simply because I read this in a feed reader – clicking on an article just so I can read you had nothing to say is redundant. Still I understand they can be useful to make a bookmark-based audience happy and you may want to keep doing them, so as I said on the last one of those, I’d be just as happy to filter these out on my end. (I just realised how rarely you post them. It was merely often enough that I noticed.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Aristotle: as I know you personally and I have a lot of respect for you, I've already started tagging them as aristotle as noted on my Start Here page :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bwahahahahahahaha. Touché. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your personal posts, it humanises your blog.

    ReplyDelete