Monday, April 18, 2011

Hackathon

This weekend I've been participating in the 2011 Perl QA Hackathon where many of the people involved in the Perl programming language come together from around the world and work face-to-face developing new tools or fixing old problems. Some of these folks are friends of mine whom I've known for years and others are new faces. I've no idea how many countries are represented but just off the top of my head I know of people from:

  • Austria
  • France
  • Germany
  • The Netherlands
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • United Kingdom
Crater Lake
My wife and I at the gorgeous
Crater Lake in Southern Oregon
I'm sure there are many more nations represented, but it's just after six in the morning here and I'm a bit too tired to think

My friend Phillipe from France asked about this blog and as he's also a father, he asked me how on earth I was able to post five days a week. I told him my tricks, including have many relevant sights bookmarked and having Google searches emailed to me daily and keeping my eye out for interesting discussions in Reddit's IWantOut community, but mostly I just manage to write two or three posts over the weekend and post them during the week. That only leaves a couple of more I'm actually writing during the week.

Which is my way of saying that since I was at the Hackathon for two days (and today), plus the fact that my sister-in-law and her family are now visiting from Calais to see her new niece, I've not written anything about expat issues this weekend. I try to have good posts with plenty of links, but those take a lot of time. This week might simply be quick posts about life (believe it or not, but this is a quick post because I didn't have to do any research).

No comments:

Post a Comment