Monday, July 11, 2011

Moving house in Amsterdam

So we've moved into our new place on the outskirts of the Bos en Lommer district in Amsterdam. Bos en Lommer isn't the nicest area in Amsterdam, but parts of it are really awesome and we've been fortunate enough to find one. Because we've already made so many wonderful friends here, one of them helped us find an astounding place. There's a beautiful canal full of ducks (duck-ridden?) right outside our door (well, by the corner we're near) and the area is very, very quiet. The place we're in had been recently renovated and is 85 sq meters with a 2 bedrooms, a balcony and a rooftop terrace. It's the sort of delightful place you probably won't find through estate agents, but once you've been an expat in a while long enough, you start to make contacts and have opportunities you would not ordinarily have had.

Saturday was spending the day at Ikea and today was spent building nine bookshelves (5 sections of a corner unit and four sections of a wall unit). After moving and hauling everything up and down two flights of stairs and then building a bunch of bookshelves, I'm pretty wiped out.

Meanwhile, here's a Google Street View of the canal by our new place.


View Larger Map


We're still struggling to unpack everything before we take off to France on Wednesday. I'm not sure we're going to get it all done.

3 comments:

  1. There's a windmill by your place if I recall? Oddly, I think I remember that neighbourhood; we kind of got lost in that area at night, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermind, the windmill is on the other side of the market on Buyskade. I totally know that area, though. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Amsterdam, but I heard its a fascinating city. I'm looking forward to going there and eating authentic Dutch cheese. Wow, your house is beside a canal with a wonderful view of European-style cottages. That's so awesome! I'm totally green with envy. Hehe. I hope it's not that difficult to move into Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete