Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Go the F*ck to Sleep

I have nothing in particular to say today regarding expat issues, either legal or personal. Thus, I've dutifully tagged today's post as aristotle, my tag for "nothing to see here". In fact, some of this will likely be offensive to you, but after moving, juggling a baby and building those damnable IKEA bookshelves, I'm hard-pressed to care.

Today is my niece's last full day in Amsterdam before returning to the US and I've decided this will be a "politically incorrect" day. Deal with it. That being said, because some of you are on silly corporate filters, I will write "f*ck" instead of the full word.

First, here's Samuel Jackson reading "Go the F*ck to sleep", a book which has reached the #1 spot on Amazon, doubtless due to exhausted parents like my wife and I appreciating someone spelling out exactly how we feel at times.






Here's a sample in case you can't or won't watch the video.
The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the f*ck to sleep.
I've read a number of critical reviews of this, though. People are worried that it sends the wrong message to children or that it might encourage child abuse.

They strike me as the sort of people who want to ban swings on the playground because you might fall. Honestly, if someone is likely to hurt their child, I doubt a humor book is going to push them over the edge.

In other "news you should not hear", when we were all down at IKEA buying bookshelves, my wife took off to find a cart to haul our stuff. That left my very white self, my painfully white and far, far younger niece, alone with our smiling baby of a decidedly darker skin color. Many people would walk by and smile at the baby and us, but a few would look and, um, get odd looks on their faces.  I can understand not knowing the situation, but from some of the looks we older man/younger woman/dark baby got, I was starting to get annoyed (IKEA will do that to you). I just wanted to lean over and whisper to some of those people "I think my niece cheated on me at her sweet sixteen party".

While my niece and I would be amused, I doubt they would be.

2 comments:

  1. marte from the officeJuly 13, 2011 at 7:50 AM

    I got me some mad IKEA building skillz, as well as extremely well-developed goodnatured-baby-kidnapping senses.. as I also love both those endeavours, please keep me in mind when a break is f*cking needed..or well before that : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. IKEA...
    I love jigsaw puzzles also... ;-)
    (I'm a IKEA black-belter. Never found a piece of furniture I couldn't put together. )

    As for sleeping...
    How?
    Midnight sun and summer warmth(not heat when you live as close to the polar circle...) isn't good news for someone who prefer it cool and dark...

    BTW: Who cares a F! what (American) parents think?

    ReplyDelete