Thursday, March 10, 2011

Study in Germany for free

Idstein "schiefes Haus"
A building in Idstein, Germany,
near where my father lives
Photo by R G K
What? Studying for free in Norway didn't make your socks roll up and down? Then give Germany a try! Not only are German universities excellent (and looking great on a CV), but as Sophie Perl explained in that article:
I think the biggest factor is financial. In the US a graduate programme would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, in Germany it doesn't cost anything. And it doesn't cost more for foreign students than it does for German students.

Many German universities have adopted English as the international language, meaning you could graduate without learning German! (Not that I would recommend this). Also, from what I understand, German student visas give you the right to work for 90 days out of the year.

I know some countries grant residency permits to people after they've graduated. I'll try to dig in more to find out if Germany handles this.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Curtis. The building ( Schieffe Haus) is from the 15th century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find out more about this! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not generally true:
    Universities are under administration of the "Länder" ( countries) in Germany, and some charge a fee for studying. Yet the fee is about 500 Euros per semester which is still low compared to other countries.
    Rolf S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can shed a little light on this. About 2 years ago I completed an MS in software engineering at the TUM.

    Tuition for German public universities is mandated by the federal government to be between 300 and 500 EUR per semester. In addition to that you need to pay "administrative" fees. For me that meant that I ended up paying around 625 (500 + 125) EUR per semester.

    Getting the visa was incredibly easy. As an American I could enter the country on a tourist visa and then go to the Auslaenderamt (foreigner's office), present the paperwork, and they would print out the visa right there and paste it into my passport.

    Something to be aware of is the position of dependents on the student visa. This took my wife and I by surprise. The dependent is not allowed to work, and must take German language classes. This caused an extra expense for us that we hadn't reckoned with.

    On the whole it was an excellent experience and I can highly recommend it to anyone who might be think of doing it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Curtis! I would like to know the universities that are tuition free because I could not find one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. German Course in Germany


    "Everyone should have a chance to live in another country."I found this from your blog and it is very nice thing for people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. friend... it'd b beter if yo list down few of such universities and colls

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi.

    I am from Malaysia and I am interested in pursuing my engineering in Germany. I've completed my high school and I would like to know whether I need to do any pre-u courses such as A-levels before I can apply for degree in engineering in Germany.

    Thanks.


    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I don't know the German system to that depth.

      Delete
  9. Hi I am johnson from India,

    can anyone tell me how can i study german language in germany without fees(for accomendation and others i can work there )I am from poor family , please advice is there any opportunity or please ingore this, if i am asking wrong.

    Thanks
    Johnson

    ReplyDelete