Wednesday, December 7, 2011

French Workplace Culture

Ubuntu-be Tshirt 2
Geek formal wear
Photo by Wouter Vandenneucker
When working at one company in the UK, I was surprised to find all of the geeks in slacks and nice shirts. Of course, I say "nice", but the truth is that they were long-sleeved, button-down shirts which invariably looked like they had been wadded up and stuffed in corner for a few weeks. In this case, the dress code definitely made things worse. When it was finally lifted, most of the geeks showed up in t-shirts and it was definitely an improvement. Geeks wear t-shirts. It's practically a requirement, but one that I ignore. Sometimes I stand out a bit because though I wear jeans, I do try to wear nice shirts.

I no longer stand out. My French colleagues actually give a damn about their appearance. They're geeks and some of them are damned good ones, but they're not wearing t-shirts. I thought maybe it was a dress code, but no, it's not. They're French.

The other odd aspect is walking in to the office and shaking hands with your colleagues. I wasn't surprised the first day when a couple of people shook my hand, but when they were shaking everyone else's hands and this happened on the second and third day, I realized that this is just the French way of doing things. It's going to take some getting used to, but already I'm enjoying the heck out of Paris.

7 comments:

  1. Don't be fooled by the hand-shaking thing. You'll soon find that it's purely formal, a bit like calling everyone comrade in a Stalinist state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you don’t French Kiss each other every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually @Theory, you kiss women on the cheeks ;-) (I hate it too and always ask my colleague not to do it - that's totally unfrench)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems to me like a good practice. In the Army, we had a tradition of saluting the officers at the beginning of the day, and greeting the sergeants as they arrived at the workplace every single day, but spending the rest of the day being rather relaxed about rank and structure. It was a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What company do you work in, and do they sponsor visas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous: I have just taken a new position with Weborama. They generally do not sponsor work permits. However, contact me me at the email I list at publiustemp-overseasexile at my yahoo account and I'd be happy to offer advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FYI, In southern France you'll even see men kiss themselves on the cheeks if they're friends (more than just colleagues)...

    ReplyDelete