Thursday, January 24, 2013

Jobs have arrived!

Because the view is nice
Gratuitous Cat Photo
Photo by Dr. Hemmert
Check out the International Jobs page!

A Web company who's growing like mad is willing to hire you and move you to Amsterdam. They've reached out to me and we struck a deal whereby I would help them find techies who are willing to seek adventure abroad. For those of a non-technical persuasion, I apologize for not having anything to offer at the present time, but who knows what the future holds? I'll still be posting regularly.

This is strictly an experiment and the company has asked that their name not be used (naturally you'll be told who they are if you apply). I don't know how long this will last for and I promise not to spam you too often :), but if I hear of more opportunities, I'll certainly let you know.

If you have tech skills, now yo have no excuse not to try and move abroad.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Francisco, check that link and read through the description. If you think you're a good fit, send me your CV at the address listed in that page (jobs at allaroundtheworld dot fr).

      Delete
  2. Probably completely unrelated to the company that you work at right now... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shmuel: it is not the company I work for now. However, the company in question has asked that their not be used name publicly.

      Delete
    2. Hmm... I was under the impression that you work for a certain traveling agency, but I see that it is not true.
      Sorry about that.

      What, two Perl companies in Amsterdam? who would have thought... :-)

      Delete
  3. I have the impression that the pay in European countries for these types of jobs is peanuts. When I was a manager in Silicon Valley we routinely gave 30% pay cuts to people moving to Europe and 30% raises to people coming from Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That varies quite a bit per country. Plus, the Netherlands has the 30% ruling, effectively giving a large pay rise to skilled immigrants.

      It's also worth noting that the rate of pay is important, but you have to consider the tradeoffs. Europeans typically take much more holiday time than the US, don't worry about health care, have access to inexpensive or free higher education, have a much better social safety net, and so on.

      If you have to pay more for a sandwich but the sandwich is larger, is that a bad thing?

      Delete
  4. What about if I already live in Amsterdam? I'm as skilled front end and I already have a job, but I might be interested in a new one, maybe this.

    Can I send you my cv?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, yes. I'm trying to help people live and work in other countries, but it wouldn't be fair for me to withhold a qualified candidate. Send that CV!

      Delete